By Brian Kilmeade, Don Yaeger
“As a protracted Islander ceaselessly thinking about events that occurred in a spot I name domestic, i'm hoping with this e-book to offer the key six the credits they didn’t get in existence. The Culper spies symbolize all of the patriotic Americans who supply quite a bit for his or her state but, because of the character in their paintings, won't or cannot take a bow or perhaps discuss their missions.”
When normal George Washington beat a hasty retreat from ny urban in August 1776, many thought the yankee Revolution may well quickly be over. as a substitute, Washington rallied—thanks in large part to a little-known, top-secret team referred to as the Culper undercover agent Ring.
Washington discovered that he couldn’t beat the British with army may possibly, so he recruited a sophisticated and deeply secretive intelligence community to infiltrate long island. So conscientiously guarded have been the members’ identities that one spy’s identify was once not uncovered until eventually the 20 th century, and one remains unknown this present day. yet through now, historians have found adequate information regarding the ring’s activities to piece jointly facts that those six individuals grew to become the tide of the war.
Drawing on broad study, Brian Kilmeade and Don Yaeger have painted compelling photographs of George Washington’s mystery six:
- Robert Townsend, the reserved Quaker merchant and reporter who headed the Culper Ring, keeping his id mystery even from Washington;
- Austin Roe, the tavern keeper who risked his employment and his lifestyles in an effort to shield the mission;
- Caleb Brewster, the brash younger longshoreman who enjoyed baiting the British and agreed to ferry messages among Connecticut and New York;
- Abraham Woodhull, the curmudgeonly (and surprisingly apprehensive) big apple bachelor with company and family members excuses for traveling to Manhattan;
- James Rivington, the landlord of a fancy coffeehouse and print store the place high-ranking British officers gossiped approximately mystery operations;
- Agent 355, a lady whose id remains unknown yet who turns out to have used her wit and charm to coax officials to proportion important secrets.
In George Washington’s mystery Six, Townsend and his fellow spies eventually obtain their due, taking their position between the pantheon of heroes of the American Revolution.